Thursday, June 17, 2010

Tried to get my son dreads. . . hair not curly enough?

OKie dokie. . .my son's hair is extremelly curly, I took him to a barber/stylist shop to get him dreads, when I made the appt, I was assured they did this and all would be well. Let's just say my son walked out with corn rows instead or dreads because the stlist said his hair did not curl enough near the base of his head but more near the tips of his hair. Well of course he never having corn rows before, they came out in 5 days, what a nice expensive lesson for him and me, lol. My husband however is mad. He has seen many people with dreads, white people, asian poeple, and does not understand how a child that has such curly hair can not get dreads. Do we have to buy the online kit that comes with super dooper hair gunk to do this? I am stumped, any advice or help would be good. I am not in any hurry though to do this now. With me having to brush out $35 the other night and pull 2 perfectly good teeth out of his mouth today, I am going to go partially insaine today I think, lol. Ok bye :



Tried to get my son dreads. . . hair not curly enough?

Hi momma before your sons get locks we don't like to call them dread locks the word dread means fear terror that name was what the white man called people hair of african american decent. Be sure your son's really wants locks it's a spiritual process you have to have patience with your hair, depending on your hair texture everyone hair doesn't lock the same. I don't know your ethnic background but anyone can get locks. If you want them to look nice and professional your best bet is to go to a licensed locktician who is knowledable about maintaining natural hair. I have natural hair meaning no chemicals, and I also wore locks for five years. your son have to be really serious about locking his hair you have to keep it maintained ex: once my hair locked I washed it every two weeks then you have to twist the new growth. I don't know what area you live in but in the philadelphia area there are two natural salons that I go to one is AU Naturale in Germantown the other is Brownstone natural hair studio in Philadelphia on south st they are both professional salons I'm sure they can help you or find a salon in your area. I hope my answer was helpful to you .



god bless,



Keisha B



Tried to get my son dreads. . . hair not curly enough?

OK ME AND YOUR SON HAS THE SAME TYPE OF HAIR REAL CURLY HAIR MINE IS SOFT ALSO IT TAKES ALOT OF MAINTENENCE BUT HE SHOULD PLAY WITH HIS HAIR AT HOME JUS TWIST EM KEEP EM N FOR ABOUT A WEEK N TAKE THEM DOWN N ALL THEN IT ELPS TRAIN YOUR HAIR Report It



Tried to get my son dreads. . . hair not curly enough?

white people shouldn't get such a hair cut. Tell him to get his head shaved or cut it short and part it. That will make him look respectable.



EDIT: Nope, I still feel big. I'm not the only respondent that came to that conclusion. Besides unless you expicitly say something, we can only assume based on what you've told us and what your picture looks like.



Tried to get my son dreads. . . hair not curly enough?

Anyone can have dreads. Though I imagine if you have "white" hair you can't go to a barber to have it done. I knew a girl in high school with bone-straight hair. She twisted it and didn't brush it for a long time. It started getting nappy and then she started to "style" the locks.



Now, in your case, if you're son wants dreads and has lost two teeth then I am wondering what's going on. Is he trying to be a thug? Did he get in a fight? Maybe he should get a buzz cut instead, you know the kind they give new recruits in the military.



Tried to get my son dreads. . . hair not curly enough?

Ah, the joys of motherhood! I sympathize with you, mom, and I will venture to say that it never ends....LOL!



The salon should have been more specific about doing the dreads, as to how curly the hair has to be, and where the most curl has to be. They should have told you right away after initially looking at your son's hair before they even started. Was this a salon with mostly African-American clientele? If so, their neglect of informing you about this was inexcusable. Next time, try another salon, and make sure before they start, that they can do the dreads for your son. Better yet, you might tell them of your bad experience so they will be sure not to make the same mistake.



Why did you have to pull his good teeth? Was he in a fight or an accident? I can't blame you for feeling partially insane. Well, eventually they do grow up and leave the nest, but you never stop being a mom. Sit down, have a cup of tea and relax. Tomorrow, do something nice for yourself! And no, you don't need to buy any of those kits -- don't throw good money after bad. Good luck, dear!



Tried to get my son dreads. . . hair not curly enough?

I have seen a lot of white hippies in Santa Barbara with dreads. They look really nasty like creatures are living in them, though. They come out like a dog that hasn't been brushed in ten years that has huge, flat-looking dirty mats. I asked one of them how they got their hair like that and they said that they have to tangle it really good by hand at first and then never wash it, or the mats will start to come out.



Tried to get my son dreads. . . hair not curly enough?

You need to take him to an African braiding salon, not a Barber shop. It is going to cost a pretty penny. Start up dreads do not come cheap. Ant it will also take a couple of hours.



Good Luck



Tried to get my son dreads. . . hair not curly enough?

ok I am a cacasian girl with dreads. My hair is extreamly curly but that only made my dreads tighten up faster but my boyfriend has straight hair and he has some of the most beautiful dreads i have ever seen. The trick that worked for me, was washing my hair with shampoo that didnt leave any residue. nothing that moisterises. Then I didnt brush my hair for like a month and kept just tearing apart the forming dreads. I dont know how long your son's hair is but my hair was 14 inches befor my dreads and my dreads ended up being like 6 maybe 7 inches. also another trick that seemed to work on the few dreads that didnt tighten up was backcombing. You tack a peice of hair about a 1 inch chunk and start about an inch from the top and start combing from the bottom up and keep doing that untill you get to the bottom. you will get a big knot but that will start the dread. The more you get the dread wet then it dries it will tighten up.



Hope this helps!



Tried to get my son dreads. . . hair not curly enough?

You don't have to get a kit to get dreads. Just don't comb his hair for a while and it will begin to get all twisted up and basically that is what dreads do. You can gently encourage his hair by twisting it in a half inch glops of hair from root to the end of the strand--Start at the root and twist to the ends of each section or stand. You can NOT brush corn rolls/rows or dreads, PERIOD. Combing is a NO-NO for these hair styles. This is part of the hairdo not to brush of comb it. It must be left to it's own devise to have good "dreads" or "dray-locks". Combing or brushing ruins "dray" results, you see..The hair can be washed with the rolls, rows or dreads in the hair. Sometime lint will get trapped in the hair just pick it out and dust it away. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
credit score